The Benefits of Expository Preaching
Why should expository preaching be recovered and faithfully practiced?
- It gives glory to God alone. Since expository preaching begins with the text of Scripture, it’s starts with God and is in itestlf an act of worship.
- It makes the preacher study God’s Word. The first heart God’s Word needs to reach is the preacher.
- It helps the congregation. It enables the congregation to learn the Bible.
- It demands treatment of the entire Bible. It prevents the preacher from avoiding difficult passages or from dwelling on only his favorite texts.
- It provides a balanced diet. Exposition affirms the priority and sufficiency of a text. We serve our people best when we make clear that we are committed to teaching the Bible by teaching the Bible.
- It eliminates Saturday night fever. It liberates the preacher from last minute preparation and it doesn’t leave the congregation wondering what the preacher will talk about on Sunday.
(found via Crossway.com)